[EDIM 516: Unit 1]
“Go to” resources for me --- outside of standard textbooks & reading packets --- include anything that fits the curricula. But, finding that “anything” can become a drawn-out chore. I’ve often spent hours trawling Youtube, Vines, Netflix, Soundcloud, DVD’s, Schoology Groups, etc., for just the right app or resource. I don’t (usually) begrudge the hours spent because it’s most often like a treasure hunt; fun entertaining downtime. But, it does still take time, sometimes more than others.
I teach what you might consider non-traditional courses, ethics & inter-religious dialogue, in a high-end, Catholic, college-prep high school. And, unfortunately, I’ve found that most of what you can find on the internet comes from the lunatic fringe, left or right wing, it doesn’t matter. The bias is just so hard to balance that it strikes most items off the menu. So, many of my teaching resources are ones that I’ve created, borrowed, or adapted from things shared in my PLN.
My colleagues at Fenwick are a rich source of professional support. I’m blessed to be a member of a faculty that regularly meets for professional development. We hear one another’s success stories, rosy-cheeked failures, & projects in progress. The theology faculty is particularly adventuresome. They’re a tech savvy bunch, more than ready to share a latest enthusiasm --- often ad nauseam! :)
The greatest challenges that I’ve found come from those few faculty who fear & resist the necessary move toward intelligently integrating technology into instruction. Some few are Luddites, some are just plain stubborn & don’t want to learn new tricks. Another, even more surprising challenge, comes from the students themselves. Until recently, their entire experience of education has been feet flat on the floor, face front, take notes, & pay attention to the talking head in front of the room. They don’t want to re-learn how to learn & to succeed. A less common, but not uncommon challenge, comes from parents suspicious of LMS’s, dropboxes, online discussions, & flipping classrooms.
So, I rely on what I have. I create what I don’t, or (even better) borrow it from friends. I respond to challenges ad hoc, while trying to use technologies in the classroom in ways that forward teaching goals, enhance instruction, and enable authentic learning.
I enjoyed reading your post! You are right, it is a treasure hunt! Nice to meet you!
ReplyDeleteNice to meet you as well, Michelle. Thanks again for testing the comments section for me.
DeleteYou said, "The greatest challenges that I’ve found come from those few faculty who fear & resist the necessary move toward intelligently integrating technology into instruction." I couldn't agree more! I face many of the same challenges you mentioned, from staff to students to parents. It's rather heartening to know that the challenges I face are not a local, or even a public school, issue. It sounds like a lot of the challenges we face have more do to with the fact that most people are leery of change, and change is what we're asking of them.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to having more opportunities to hear your thoughts, challenges, and insights as we progress through this course.
We teachers are so leery of change --- which strikes me as very odd because teaching is all about process, growth, becoming, but there you go.
DeleteThere are many perfectly rational, reasonable concerns that need to be addressed. One is our anxiety about technology skills. Another, the fact that we’ve already spent countless hours perfecting lesson plans & are now asked to do it again. If we’re also anxious about technology in general, it ratchets that concern even tighter. Add these to the reality of a teacher’s “regular” day & it gets even worse. Then, tack on administrivia, professional development, licensing, extracurriculars, personal finance, & --- most importantly of all: family life, & it’s ratcheted tightest.
Loads of tech support & professional development partially address these worries. But, neither will work well unless we begin to develop a basic culture of genuine & mutual collaboration. This requires that tech support & PD be done in a way that cultivates teacher confidence. We need to teach ourselves as we would teach our students.