Why
the Divine Comedy? The world behind the
world of the Divine Comedy, 16th century Italy, is a lot like our
own. But, the religious worldview is something
so foreign that it is incomprehensible. The goal of the lessons on the Divine
Comedy is to help students to understand and to critique received beliefs about
the afterlife, so that they can intelligently integrate what is actually known about
the afterlife into their religious worldview today.
I
hope to help students to develop their respectful mind by helping them to see
how an idea that takes shape in one historical period, in one culture, can
affect what we think and what we believe today.
So, rather than be tempted to ignore what Dante has to teach us about
the nature of good and evil, which is couched in the language and thought forms
of his era, they might retrieve and make practical use of the wisdom of a
former age.
The
Divine Comedy is a study in morality and ethics. In the Inferno, Dante teaches us how to
recognize evil in all its grotesquerie; in the Purgatorio, how to atone for it;
and in the Paradiso, the goal of human striving. Human beings, whether religious or not, often
delude ourselves about the quality of our actions. Dante allows us to suffer none of our own
best illusions about evil, or about good.
These are lessons that all might benefit from today as we attempt to
lead ethical lives.
The
padlet “wall” contains (almost) all of the resources that I would use to teach
Dante, The Divine Comedy. I included links
to introductory lectures, online texts in the original Tuscan and several
English translations, various maps, and the iconic art of Dore. There is also
an audio file of the nine most famous lines of the Inferno, i.e., Canto III,
Lines 1-9, Abandon all hope . . . , and a <.pdf> that introduces students
to the metaphysics of good and evil.
I
used padlet because it has a lot of bang for the buck. It is very simple to use. Just double-click, type, and use the command
ribbon to create --- in this case --- an archive. Ours includes uploaded texts, audio files,
and links to online resources. Padlet
also has a webcam feature, but I am not sure why a selfie might be useful. Padlet also provides exceptional technical
support. The only thing I found that I
could not do was to embed a padlet within a padlet. You have to settle for a link.
No comments:
Post a Comment